About PointsThis "points" feature was made in order to serve 2 purposes: to make this site more fun and to make it more self-managed. For now this is very experimental, the balance may be changed in the future.
Points DistributionPoints log - see what you are getting or losing points for
Points are given to you depending on your pics popularity (basically on how many visits your pics receive) and user actions on your pages. If members vote for your pics or donate points to you then you are given points directly.
Points are given to you for your own actions on the site - participation in public chat, writing comments on the public pics, voting for the pics, etc. Note that voting actually spend points, but you will be rewarded for this activity afterwards.
You can also earn points reporting pics that were posted into incorrect category. Only valid reports count.
Points can also be subtracted, this happens if members vote against your pics, burn your points directly or if you post pics into incorrect categories and other members report them (incorrect reports do not count, only pics that really are in the wrong category may cost you points)
Uploading pics may also cost points. This happen if you have over 300 pics in your profile or if you are uploading too much pics in a short time (more than 12 in 1 hour). Private and temporary pics do not count.
Note, that for some actions points are given immediately, but for many of actions they are distributed during re-rolls which happens approximately once per day.
Naturally you can not earn more than 250 points. You have to spend them, then you can earn more. This limit is increased for premium (to 350) and diamond (to 500) members.
How to use themYou can use them to do several things:
1. To place one or several of your pics into the upper banner on top of of the main page, so that more people can see and visit them. There are 8 slots and your pic will appear on the left and will shift to the right each time another pic is placed there by you or some other member, until it drops out of the line. You can place it there again any time or you can even place it several times if you think it's cool (I don't) and have enough points for that. Note, that only public pics can be placed there.
In case you do not understand where that "banner" is - here is the pic, see where red arrow points to:
Note that after your pic is pushed out of the banner by other pics it does not go to the section below the banner, those are simply most popular pics posted within 5 past days.
In case you do not know HOW to place your image on top, here is another scheme:
2. To place you in the first position of top-30 members. You will stay there until someone else uses this feature and then you will fall down to 2nd place, next time to 3rd place and so on until you drop out of the top. Indeed you can place yourself on top any time again, if you have enough points.
3. You can place your profile on top of the member list here
4. You can place your message on top of pics pages (looks like a white bar with message stuck to the top of the pages) here
5. You can place your message on the front page in "chat" in the side bar.
6. You can vote for or against pics of other members. It's not free, it costs points. Why is that? So that you make your choice with responsibility. But it also produces complex effect: not only the pic popularity raises or drops, but also the member who posted the pic is getting or losing his points.
7. You can donate points to other members who you like, in this case member gets 3/4 of the points you spend.
8. You can burn points of other members who you do not like, in this case member loses 1/2 of the points you spend.
9. You can send gifts both "positive" and "negative" to members you do or do not like accordingly.
ImportantPurchasing points gives immunity to any points burning effects for 30 days
If you are premium - points burning effects will be diminished for you - 1 point instead of 3 points on negative vote and 1/4 instead of 1/2 when someone burns directly. This is intended to protect your investment so to say.
But in the same time premium members (and it includes those who purchased points) will suffer same penalties when burning others members points - 1 point is subtracted from the target instead of 3 on negative vote and only 1/4 will be burned instead of 1/2. This is intended to protect non-paying members from so called "bullies" who pay.